Driving in flood water can be both extremely hazardous and expensive!
Rescue teams attending incidents often encounter deep surface water. There have been several potentially serious near misses incidents with vehicles nearly over turning into fast flowing water.
Please remember, flooded roads might be undermined and prone to collapse. Take particular care where you have flowing water over or next to the road. If in doubt, have someone walk ahead of your vehicle to inspect the road.
If your vehicle hasn’t been adapted for driving in water it can be very expensive. If it has, take care with water depth and undermined roads.
- A third (32%) of flood-related deaths are in vehicles.
- A mere egg cupful of water could be enough to wreck an engine.
- Just 15cm of fast-flowing water can knock you off your feet and be enough for you not to be able to regain your footing.
- Just 30cm of flowing water could be enough to move your car.
- Just 60cm of standing water will float your car.
If you’re part of a rescue team please download this PDF, print and display in your base. Thanks.